The words are met with an incoherent mumble. A 'yeah', perhaps - or maybe an 'mmph'. A brief pause follows. I'm dimly aware of the all-too-familiar jumble of sounds that one associates with hanging up - the echoes of clutter, of hands fumbling and searching for that little button with the red telephone.
The ensuing click could well have been a knife - severing connections, severing ties. I rest my arms on the railing and gaze out across the third-floor balcony; over the clubhouse swimming pool, across the headlights of passing cars, taking in the mass-rapid transit carriages that thunder past the tracks, roaring like lions above the throb of the heartland evening.
A mist of tears threatens to overwhelm my vision; I stab fingers into eyes to still the sensation. Deep breaths, I think. I take them - three great, heaving, sucking breaths. I will not give in.
Seconds pass and turn into minutes. Finally, I feel brave enough to move on. And so I do - move on.
***********************************************************************************
So it was, that on the 13th of May 2010 - on my birthday, no less - we ended a relationship that first began on the 9th of June, 2007.
So, where do I start? Certainly not with descriptions of how it happened - those are best recounted to personal confidences.
It's the peculiarities that interest me, really. Like how quickly I've gotten back up and dusted myself off - that intrigues me, especially in light of past experience. Or how steady my nerves were going into this final conversation - as though guided by an invisible hand, and a voice issued from my lips but with words not my own. Most of all, I'm astounded - and admittedly, troubled - at the level of calm I've been experiencing. I find myself in constant worriment that the peace of the present guises shock and numbness, thinly veiled and waiting to ambush when I awaken.
On these times, I touch my heart and look inwards. And strangely enough, I feel kinda good. I feel... right. If there's such a thing as fate, I'm guessing that this cuts close to what it'd be - it's almost as though things were meant to end this way, and that I was meant to learn from the experience. And indeed, I have. There's no bitter aftertaste, no singed feelings and repressed anger in the manner of past relations. Nothing. Just peace, and the knowledge that it was an invaluable three-year experience that turned me from boy into man.
I should caveat at this point, however, that I will still behave like a boy whenever I see fit. I had drinks over the weekend with my close friends, the Good Doctor Don included. The doctor and I indulged in some cigarettes - these days, a vice saved only for select occasions - and he observed a person sporting a striped polo with the words "Music is my life" emblazoned across the back.
"Check it out man. Music is his life," said the Good Doctor. I dragged, paused for a brief moment of study, and concluded that I had just wasted 2 seconds of my life. "I can tell he's not very talented," I replied dryly.
The Good Doctor laughed. "You're an asshole," he said, "But I'm glad the old you is back."
I'm not so sure. I don't think its the old me who's back; neither do I believe he ever truly left. I'd like to think that while I was busy learning to be a man, he too was on sabbatical, struggling to learn and to grow in kind. And perhaps it is this long-awaited reconciliation of halves, this reunion of inseparable facets of one's soul, which has rekindled the lion's heart to step once again into the darkness and embrace a universe of possibilities.
The King is dead - long live the Kingmaker. May his reign be long and enduring, and colored with the passionate shades of all that is fucking awesome.
"Check it out man. Music is his life," said the Good Doctor. I dragged, paused for a brief moment of study, and concluded that I had just wasted 2 seconds of my life. "I can tell he's not very talented," I replied dryly.
The Good Doctor laughed. "You're an asshole," he said, "But I'm glad the old you is back."
I'm not so sure. I don't think its the old me who's back; neither do I believe he ever truly left. I'd like to think that while I was busy learning to be a man, he too was on sabbatical, struggling to learn and to grow in kind. And perhaps it is this long-awaited reconciliation of halves, this reunion of inseparable facets of one's soul, which has rekindled the lion's heart to step once again into the darkness and embrace a universe of possibilities.
The King is dead - long live the Kingmaker. May his reign be long and enduring, and colored with the passionate shades of all that is fucking awesome.
No comments:
Post a Comment