First week of gainful employment, down!
(Well technically it's only half a week, but whatever.)
I had a couple surprises at MAS, one being discovering an old acquaintance from NUS arts. That's like, a rarity to the point of non-existence over in MAS - particularly so for people from my batch of graduates. Von (I have no idea if that's his nickname or what, just that he introduced himself as such years back when we were both smoking kakis outside the LT) was describing his perceptions of MAS culture: that (a) the onus was very much on individuals to develop on their own initiative the necessary knowledge and expertise in their given fields; and (b) that higher-ups demonstrated exceedingly high expectations for new recruit performance (i.e. he felt that people expected new guys to catch up to speed and contribute almost immediately).
After just three days, I'm starting to think that his comments border on optimistic. Not that my seniors have been pressuring me - just that I look at the multitudes of stuff that I've gotta digest and get up to speed on, and I think to myself - 'Whoa'.
The next few years, I should think, will not be easy ones.
12/19/2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment