8/07/2006

Eulogy

When I first received word at 545 in the afternoon, I thought it was a practical joke.

When I was in the cab heading down to Sin Ming Drive, I still thought of it as a really, really bad practical joke.

When I finally found the place, I still refused to accept it as fact. Right until I saw the face in the picture.

Few are the alumni of AC(I) who haven't known Chow Guan Ren, who haven't experienced his idiotically (and occasionally, somewhat insane looking) toothy grin. Many i'm sure still remember the old TV ad where the Italian kid yells 'Ciao Argo!' and the old geezer replies with a resounding 'Ciao, Romano!' - faithfully replicated by Guan Ren in the subsequent weeks of school life, who spouted incessant Ciao Romano's with that grin plastered over his face.

In all, while I haven't known CGR as a close friend, I cannot and will not deny that i've known him for... what has it been? 9 years? Close to 10?

For those of you who're reading this and know CGR as a mutual friend, it is to my great sorrow that I must inform you of his passing in a car crash.

Wakes are depressing precisely because they remind us, the ones who've known him personally, of our mortality. The qualities of being youthful include a firm, almost unshakeable belief that no matter what illness, injury or mishap might occur, life will go on - we'll go through uni, get girls, go clubbing, play online games, head out for suppers, watch movies, get jobs... Y'know, grow up and reminisce.

Desmond Wee's remarks were significant in that they probably reflected many of the thoughts of the mourners - if only we'd spoken to him a little more the last time we'd met. Kenneth and I just bumped into him last week after catching Dragon Tiger Gate, for Chrissakes. And i'm sure its harder for Phua, having met him for supper right before he... left.

So here it is, in this disputably but still relatively private space of my own, I will pen this entry down as an eulogy to a person whom i've always known to provide a smile where one was lacking. And I will mourn the passing of one of us, and remind myself that perhaps we aren't so invincible after all. That we... I... shall spend a little more time knowing friends rather than merely asking after them.

Fare thee well, Guan Ren. If there's a better place after life, I hope you find it.

16 comments:

huiyi said...

Sorry to hear about your friend. And they say memories never fade away, he seemed to be etched in the positive department, i'm sure he'll be glad to know that you'll remember him that way.

Life's too vulnerable, hope you are feeling ok too. =)

potpourri said...

Guang Ren? Oh dear, this is some shocking news.

Anonymous said...

Cliche: Life's too short. Let's say what we want to tell others NOW and not wait.

Anonymous said...

I'm not good at saying stuff to make people feel better, so erm... don't think too much and channel the Chi to the gym instead :) *hugs*

Cheok said...

Aye Yi, Jole, i'm fine la. Thanks for the concern, but really - this time round, it ain't about me.

Anonymous said...

Hi, i'm Ren Jian. Guan Ren's childhood friend. Thank you for coming down to his wake and saying goodbye to him. His family members will be very glad this eulogy.

RJ

Anonymous said...

havent been in here for awhile and it hadda be a sad entry. Well school's starting in 3 days' time, something to take everyone's mind off every other thing else. See ya around. :) jade

Desiderata✿ said...

Hello, came over from Huiyi's blog.

You 1337 and I ph33r.

Cheok said...

RJ: Hope it helps. Its the least I can do.

jade: haha who'd you get to bid for your modules this time round, eh? aight cya in sch yep.

desiderata: lol why would you ph33r at all? its just a bunch of words on a webpage and while words are ocasionally swords, they usually don't hurt... much.

Anonymous said...

did u get the right jade? haha...

Adrian said...

Yeah, shit does happen.

Desiderata✿ said...

I can't stand it lah. You're nuts and ph33rsome kay? And ho, Germany fan too! *waves banner for Oliver Kahn and Miroslav Klose*

Cheok said...

Yawn.

jade: Wrong one ah? Oops. Heh.

adrian: Agreed. Almost a motto in life, that line.

des: Lol. I highly doubt i'm half as devoted (or at least, devoted-sounding) as you are. Think of guys who only know about soccer from newspapers - i'm one of them.

But! I did watch the German matches. Haha. Good excuse to drink a lil', anyway.

Desiderata✿ said...

Well then think of the girls who only love soccer because of the guys - I'm one of them, since France WC 1998. Lol.

I watched those German matches and wept too entirely much. ;)

Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info Df2 duracraft cool mist humidifier review travel insurance jordan annual travel multitrip insurance us london uk buy generic viagra Pants capris cheap+international+prepaid+calling+card Nema circuit breaker frame sizes travel multi trip insurance south america White industies battery tester Estate management planning retirement bextra lesbo marijuana crystals freezer Valium vicodin test travel insurance covers sailing decks patios driveways duplessis louisiana cheap computer chairs travel insurance for graduates Travel abroad health multitrip insurance

Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site... Patanol rebate phendimetrazine Paxil + stop bextra 10 mg caribbean cruise packages april bomex body kits http://www.1997-ford-motors-4-2-liter-for-sale.info affiliate program Bobbi brown cosmetic Ultracet 30 http://www.domain-names-9.info vacuum cleaner