
Too many thoughts floating around. That's why the 188 bus trips do me good - there's no better way to end my day in school than a relatively peaceful ride home with good music as company and the freedom to let thine mind wander.
Anyway, I had a decent debate with Mr AMK today while churning smoke in the canteen. As with all decent debates concerning cigarettes and alcohol (okay i'm lying: it was ice lemon tea), the subject inevitably gravitated towards Girls. Mate selection might be an fairly suitable headline. Or something like... The Mate Debate.
Corny, yes, I know.
If there's something I appreciate in every good friend that I have, its that I can easily discuss and/or debate social theories and observations without 1.) the worry that i'm being offensive in any manner, because as friends we don't really give a flying fuck, and 2.) worrying that I won't come out of the entire brouhaha having gained nothing. This does not happen primarily because all close friends of mine have either high social intellects or good listening skills.
I am not joking. I donch fwen stoopid peeps wan. So i'm discriminatory when it comes to good friends, but hey - that's the right of everyone, and i'll be damned if I let people into my inner circles knowing full well that they'd be likely to let me down.
So anyway, we expanded heavily on my initial statement of "When I get a girlfriend (or perhaps it should be IF I ever do get one), i'll get a girl who doesn't club." My logic?
- Girls who club have inherently higher chances of fooling around. And guess what? Shit happens whether you wanna admit or not. That's the truth, so-help-me-God.
- I have grown tired of having to place (unfounded) trust in girls when they head off to drink/pub/club/fuck around/whatever.
- My definition of decency, while not yet fully developed, will probably incorporate a clause that says 'girl + club =
Which's in hindsight rather amusing, considering that I do drink and I do smoke and I do occasionally club when cashflow permits and I feel like it; social idealism versus social reality. This was pointed out by Kenneth in his counter-argument, which read as such:
- You want a girl who doesn't club, doesn't smoke, doesn't drink, doesn't do anal, doesn't whatsoeverfuck. How the fuck are you gonna relate to her then? I mean, you like to drink at very least, don't you?
- Girls who club aren't always sluts. So-and-so-whom-I-know goes clubbing but she doesn't drink what; she's the sort who only goes there to dance. Therefore, clubbing is not an accurate gauge.
My reply:
- You cannot deny that clubbing significantly lowers the chances of a girl doing the dirty. Even if a girl goes clubbing solely for the sake of dancing... Well, give her a bad day, an argument with her boyfriend and a male friend who drives. A simple equation for infidelity, if you ask me.
By the time we were on our way back to Central Library, the discussion had transcended the topic of clubbing specific debate, and headed on towards general *ahem* mate selection principles. I won't go much into these, because I don't think the argument was fully fleshed out; nevertheless, the topic statement as I recall was something like this:
"Let's say there's a girl you like. There's 10 significant things about her, 7 of which you like... Maybe 1 you're sorta so-so okay with, but the other 2 you can't abide by. What then?"
Kenneth's viewpoint:
- Dependent on situational circumstance e.g. when you're hard up for a girl, you tend to overlook things.
- Dependent on overall image of the girl. If you like the whole package, you like the whole package - end of story. If you really dislike that one bit, then... fuckit.
- Sometimes you compromise, whether it be knowingly or unwittingly.
That's all I can roughly remember. Mr AMK also mentioned that he didn't believe in changing oneself for the significant other (or vice versa), something which I rousingly agree with.
As for me?
- Refrain from compromise. Compromise means you're losing half the battle before it even begins.
- If you want to settle down, you jolly well have fucking strict criteria because you don't wanna settle for a *coughs* lesser being.
- However, I will make allowances for infatuation: sometimes when you really like a girl, you do stupid things.
- Then again, I don't see myself as stupid. Puppy love is for dogs and bitches. So I shall actively combat the possibility of such occurences ever happening in my life.
So i've been told i'm too cynical - No girlfriend lor, what to do... I'd start off on a whole bunch of reasons why I shan't and can't have one, but ah, nevermind.
15 comments:
Lionel, ni bian le.
Anyway, i don't club, don't smoke, don't drink. Yay.
GUAI KIAS RULE!!!!
ALL THE GUAI KIAS PLEASE STAND UP! <3
lol. you know ah, i still smoke, drink and club... the only thing is that i've gotten even more cynical and sarcastic with the passing of time. i remain undecided as to whether it's a positive or negative change.
EVEN MORE CYNICAL? Is that possible? ;)
Ni bian le because you said before that you preferred...ahem.. Well, if you want to find a lamb, you gotta stop looking among the lions.
Err. This is the best analogy i can come up with.
okaye. im half a guai kia. i dont club ( anymore ) , and dont smoke. so i can stand on the chair.
and mr cheok, it's only with compromise that you are winning half the battle?
if there's no compromising, there isnt even a battle to begin with?
unless you are talking about finding and dating a she-cheok ? then you probably dont need much compromising.
wah it's a long time since i have been to your blog! and i freaking miss it!
good luck for your exams!
honestly dude, this entire conversation you had will just come around and kick you in the arse one day when SOMEday, SOMEtime in the future, you find a girl you really fancy (yes that day WILL come, you non-believer you) and HORROR! she clubs! and perhaps even drink!
ooh! the rogue!!
..and then what? you gonna let the chick go because she CLUBS? even if her track record is suspiciously squeaky-clean? and if, wonder of all wonders, you actually enjoy hanging out with her and you two connect on various levels?
and hey, mr amk is right. you do make compromises depending on the situation. (dont laugh at me dammit!)
to compromise isn't stupid, it's inevitable. relax those standards a lil, man, because when you're with that girl who clubs and whom you get along with like a house on FIAH, this is alllllllllllllllllllllllll gonna take a hugh chew outta your sexaye arse.
chomp chomp.
mari: what, LAMBS again??
yang: yo yo supp NUT.. i mean, NTU girl.. she-cheok? not bad what. well-read, same wavelength, probably looks good...
i wouldn't mind! HAHA. g'luck for exams too yep!
maddie: yeah, 'course you're right sis. truth be told, the chances of that occurring will probably be higher than that of my thesis occuring.
but its still an IF! and even if that does happen.. i'd be more than happy to clink glasses n' laugh along with you.
Enuff of the mate talk, L.
It's time to DOTA.
RRROARS.
Interesting blog dude..
i love your blog !!
nice layout and interesting entries..
;)
u won't find someone if you cant stop stereotyping hot girls who club drink smoke = sluts whores bitches.
what comes around may go around and someday when u really fancy a girl she'll think all guys who club smokes drinks = bastards jerks and heartbrkers.
Chill. :)
-jade
fireburn: thank you. you sound more like a metal junkie than a rock one, though!
bb: thank you. i just wish i didn't see that cat thing... its fucking stuck in my mind. i don't think its gonna go away anytime soon, either... sigh.
jade: that begs the question - do i seriously want to find someone in the first place, or am i just running away?
it's a good question; i honestly admit that i avoid thinking about as much as possible. like being lost and not wanting to be found? but that'd be too dramatic-sounding.
file it under U for Unexplained, tackle the issue another day. suffer in silence for the meanwhile.
does it even make sense to talk trash to someone who doesn't give a fuck, bitch? into the can your comment goes.
Post a Comment