3/26/2006

V



I found the idea of a erudite, philosophical antihero extremely appealing; I loved his entrance scene whereby he pointed out the ironic paradox in questioning the identity of a masked man. Naturally, as all guys do, I found his 1337 hand-to-hand (or dagger to throat, or however you wanna put it) skillz absolutely mesmerising. And most of all, I was completely entranced by the incredibly romantic ideals that shrouded the show - idealism unto death? Amen to that, baby!

As you can tell, I thought V was an amazingly immersive and compelling movie. Then again, if you've read this blog long enough, you'll know I love anything idealistic in nature... With a vengeance, and pardon the pun. The emphasis on the character development and the fleshing out of the overall ideological sense of the movie within a short timeline as opposed to logical pre and post-developments e.g. detailing V's history, or what happens after overthrowing the totalitarian government etc. gives the flick one helluva punch, despite its fairly long runtime (2 hours? 2 hours plus?)

And so we have fantastic quotes such as 'ideas are bulletproof'... 'there is more than just flesh behind this mask... this mask represents an ideal'... and the inevitably haunting Guy Fawkes poem:

"Remember, remember the fifth of November
The gunpowder treason and plot
I see no reason why gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot"

Pretty good show; go catch it if you haven't already. My only gripe was that Jurong Point's cinema seats were literally a pain in the ass.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Must agree with you, that movie was one of the best i've seen this year, especially when you compare it with all the other movies that are showing now.. like Date Movie for example...Total waste of time and money. V was really awesome. I watched it at PS..good seats there. Yeah and I want that damned mask! Wonder if they're selling them in the US..