2/18/2006

This Godless Endeavour



The list of bands i've downloa... uhh, i mean, ACQUIRED over the past couple weeks. I am seriously OD-ing on metal and metalcore.

As I Lay Dying - Shadows Are Security
In Flames - Come Clarity
Opeth - Ghost Reveries
God Forbid - Gone Forever
Nevermore - This Godless Endeavour
Shadows Fall - The War Within
Trivium - Ascendancy
Unearth - The Oncoming Storm & The Stings Of Conscience
Devildriver - The Fury Of Our Maker's Hand
Zao - 8 albums worth (the 500mb torrent stated that it was an almost-complete discography)

Hmm, quite a fair bit. So I haven't even given the Nevermore album a proper listen yet due to the sheer amount of songs i'm cycling through, but it's an eventuality I guess.

I plain don't understand progressive metal, and I therefore find Opeth to be somewhat crappish... Good mood music for studying though (it's so fucking slow).

Zao (pronounced Zay-Oh) = plain nonsense - it's nothing but dead riffs, weak melodies and weird attempt to sound screamish. Like eating a completely raw steak or something - it could taste SO much better.

Incidentally, Zao is a CHRISTIAN metal band. I used to find the idea of Christian metal bands extremely intriguing and amusing - When I first read about Underoath being a Christian band, I almost snorted milk through my nostrils while hunched over my laptop. And Underoath is NOTHING compared to any of the bands on the list above - all of em make Underoath look like a mainstream pop act. Trust me on that. Take Zao - Dan Weyandt (lead singer) sounds just like... Well, in all honesty he sounds like what i'd expect the devil to sound like.

Satan!

Masquerading as a Christian Metal Rocker!!

Yikes!!!

Anyway, the completed torrent of Muse's Absolution came with this little text file, which read as follows:

"Important!

You have downloaded this file becouse you have the original copy of it. Otherwise, you must immediately erase this file because it is illegal to have it. You have been notified and we do not take responsibility for the incorrect use by the web visitors.

Note: We are absolutely against bootlegging, so please don't do more damage to the record industry, games industry, etc. Thank you. If you don't own this CD, go out and buy it to support the artists."

Ummmm... Rrrrrrrrright... And yes, I know Muse isn't metal.

9 comments:

potpourri said...

HERE COMES THE...YEEEETIIIII....

exhumed said...

\m/

Anonymous said...

I <3 Muse.

And yes I think christian metal is rubbish. christian music is better off as pop rock IMO.

Cheok said...

heh. that isn't always true. simply discount the undertones of what it is to be a 'Christian' band, and you'll find many of them to be rather good. Maybe it's cuz they've got to distinguish themselves because they've already been somewhat marked/tagged by means of their allegiances? i dunno, but thus far the only crap X'ian metal (or so called metal) bands i've come across have been... umm.. POD and Zao, really.

Underoath, As I Lay Dying, Anberlin (non-metal; alt rock, perhaps), arguably Unearth (i only liked 1 album)... are all decent if not good bands in their own right.

Cheok said...

what's a good muse album other than absolution, by the way? cuz thats all i have right now. or rather, what're other good songs?

Anonymous said...

I like Showbiz. You should listen to Unintended and Muscle Museum, good stuff.

Chowzzer said...

I like "I'll be loving you" By Damage.

R2D2 said...

I downloaded a lot of old songs. And anime songs as well. Ever heard of "Sixteen Tons"?

Cheok said...

anon: i'll check em out soon yeah.

sb: nope. whassat?