I just caught a free movie online. It's a cool one!
It's the Singapore Rebel movie - 100% authentic, banned in the Little Red Dot bay-bee!
For once, Tomorrow.Sg actually has come in somewhat handy: without seeing virgin_undergrad's post (the link was edited out because it's apparently illegal to view), I would've clean forgotten the existence of such an interesting little local film. Plus, it's free - just wait for the buffering to clean itself up, and you've 24 minutes of (serious) entertainment.
Cheapo-ism aside, I do think it's one of those things all Singaporeans ought to watch. There exists a certain comfort zone that we live in, whereby we've become completely ignorant of undercurrents which herd us into choices and decisions we feel are our only choices; this little video exists as a little beacon of idealism which reminds us that maybe (just maybe) there exist alternatives to the paths we feel forced to take.
That sounds kinda cheem. Hrmm. Let's summarise - timeout from the life that you're so engrossed in, and take a look at the struggle a select group of locals have commit themselves to. Why do they continue to defy the government despite there being no apparent threat today? Well, how the fuck would I know? But you gotta give it to people like Dr Chee man - they do occasionally give us something to think about, and you gotta admire the way he sticks to his ideals: the man's got some spine, so let's give him some credit for that.
Perhaps a little bit of doubt is what's sometimes necessary in keeping the powers-that-be in check. I personally think it'd work so much better if Chee were a rather more personable and charismatic fella though; come to think of it, the man ought to start his own blog. Y'know, take advantage of the blogging hoo-ha, stuff like that; it'd get his ideals farther than just standing on the streets and selling books, that's for sure!
I won't give a link if the thing's illegal. Fuck no - i've got my face on this blog, damnit! But I WILL tell you that it's over at video.google.com though; run a search and you'll have it in seconds. If joel hadn't removed the photos from his old Leeky moustache post, I might've put the link up here as well... just because it's so nostalgic. And it was, of course, fucking funny.
p.s. - Oh yeah; after you're done with the video, you can check out the mighty moshin' emo rangers video, which is a rather well-done parody, or the scenesters for more laughs. In particular, do watch the Introductory episode.
"I'm so punk!!"
11/18/2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Dude, gimme your email or msn or something.
NOBODY LISTENS TO SKA ANYMORE!
God, that was so freaking kewl that I watched it again.
Frankly, there's so many ways to change things in Singapore. Public protest by one man is one of the most stupid choices, in my opinion.
were you at phuture last night?
sb: agreed, on both counts. the very least you'd expect of a good opposition is that they'd be better organised and resort to less blatant means. it's almost like they wanna get caught everytime.
vg: nope. it's exams now la, phuture what. why? must be see some cannot-make-it fella then think it's me righttt... basket. lol.
Post a Comment