6/16/2010

WIS stands for Watch Idiot Savant: Part II

Flightmaster project got sidetracked, possibly for a very (very) long time...

Because, in a fluke stroke of luck, I ended up busting the bank for a grail watch - which is a term used by collectors for bucket-list timepieces, i.e. those that they'd give an arm and leg to have.

The piece in question? A vintage Omega Seamaster 300 "big triangle" variant, produced from 1963-1965 and hence extremely rare (especially for the condition that mine's in). Bought it from Jack Wong, local WIS and very reputable buyer/seller/collector. Very knowledgeable too, I might add - met up with him to transact and he sat me down for an hour to run through the history of the watch and how to discern the originals from the fakes, as well as a brief overview of various vintage timepieces that he had previously owned - with an iPhone full of images to boot!

I'd upload pics for the record, but I've no decent camera - looks like it'll have to wait till the iPhone 4g is out. In the meanwhile, this would be a close approximation (the bezel on mine is less smudgy, though).


Photobucket

Ironically, I am now compelled to purchase another watch so that I don't have to risk wearing this too often - given its age and condition, even fine scratches from everyday wear result in an intensely painful feeling upon discovery. Hence, I now -need- to buy a more rugged, wearable watch for rotation as my daily beater. Present candidates include:

Sinn 757 Fliegerstaffel Limited Edition, made for the German Bayern Polizeihubschrauberstaffel (German Police Helicopter Squadron in Bavaria). I'm a sucker for logos on the dial, and this would set me back about 2.6k SGD - excluding shipping.

Photobucket

Precista PRS-50B, homage watch to the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms watches produced in the early 70's. Obviously I'm not going to be able to afford the original (let alone find an original to begin with) right now, and anyway even if I did I wouldn't dare to wear it - which sets off the dilemma again. Hence the PRS-50, which would cost me slightly over 800 SGD, excluding shipping.

Photobucket

Then there's the Doxa 1000t COSC - close to 4k, but not available till November as its presently sold out. But I'm definitely considering for my year-end bonus...

Photobucket


This is getting terribly compulsive - oh dear.

No comments: