1/05/2006

growing up

I just had a mildly amusing conversation with the Kid Bro, who happens to be all of eleven years:


"Eh, Mark ah, don't you learn how to do the standing broad jump in school? They have NAPFA test right?"

"Ya... They teach you to swing the arms and jump like that..."

- proceeds to demonstrate broad jump technique-

"Eh, then ah, what did you get for NAPFA? Gold ah?"

"No la, I cannot run. Everytime I run people always run past me, then I feel like walking."

"But that one, you cannot give up what. You must run finish mah!"

"I know cannot give up, but I will end up walking one."

"Wah. Cannot like that la. You know, Kor Kor got 3 NAPFA golds in primary school leh! Next time we go downstairs and run together la. We go and train."

"Orh. Also can. Like that you better call Mummy down also."

"Eh? Why?"

"Because hor, Mummy is getting fat. You see her legs!"

"HO HO HO. Oei this kind of thing cannot say about Mummy la. She's getting old already you still want her to run? Very bad leh."

"But it's true! You go and see for yourself!"

"Hoy, you ah, this kinda thing cannot say about girls one leh. Kor Kor teach you, next time you meet girls you better not tell them they've got fat legs or whatever man..."


At this point, I find myself collapsing into spasms of chuckles at the hilarity of it all: Me discussing one of the most unfathomable mysteries of the planet... with the Kid Bro, who's ten years my junior.

Ah. The refreshing honesty that can only be provided by a child's innocence.

He takes my laughter as a slight towards him, and proceeds thereby to beat on my left arm with reckless abandon and uncompromising ferocity as I continuously plead innocence. I'm still laughing, of course.

- - - - - - -

I often lament the passing of the last 2 years - Years that could have been better spent in the company of family. All too often I chose to avoid the affairs of home and hearth, knowing fully the underlying problems present in the house, but always too cowardly and occupied with the unimportant to bother or care.

I now understand that the greatest gifts in life are sometimes right before our very eyes. I also think that this statement has become so cliched that its meaning has been severely eroded, or at best limited to deferential nods in response to its mention.

Appreciate every moment with your family - To wait for their passing is to know regret, and regret destroys even the greatest of individuals. Treasure younger siblings: They may be mere trifling to you, but you're often the world to them. Both lessons above have always been slick lies off my lips, uttered plenty of times for the satisfaction of listeners who sagely approve my seeming maturity. It's the practise portion which i'm badly lacking in, and as of late i'm learning to overcome the shame of my admittance. Because i've been trying hard to make up for lost time, and i'd like to believe that i'm actually succeeding.

I think.

It's only when we've fallen on harsher times that i've come to realise what my privileged childhood for what it was. Sure, I was too sheltered for my own good, and many a time i've had to learn about the world through harder ways. The Cons pale in comparison, however, to the blissful simplicity of my youth: I never quite worried about grades (save for the caning portions whenever I failed to memorise my chinese), I got plenty of toys over Christmas, I was constantly showered attention from family (including its extended members)... Stuff like that.

In comparison, Kid Bro's been through alot more, and has gotten alot less for his efforts. He's really gotten it tough, and i'm ashamed to say that I haven't been there for him as he's grown up.

Is it too late to start now? I don't know. But i'm trying.

Resolutions don't need New Years to be made. They're made on the street corner, as that Toyota Corolla zooms past you and you wait for the green man with your feet tapping impatiently on the sidewalk. They're made as you take the clementi exit off the expressway, shifting from 4th gear to 3rd. They're pretty much made in any given situation, and at any passing time. They're made when you realise what has to be done, and you decide to haul ass and actually DO it.

So yeah. It took me awhile, but I made this particular resolution some time after my messy breakup - I'd been procrastinating on family matters and worrying about relationships for far too long. And it might sound kinda sappy, but it does bring a warm fuzzy feeling to thine heart whenever I tuck Mark in to bed.

Which I might add happens VERY rarely. Lions can't be allowed TOO much fuzziness, can they? Detracts from the majesty and all. So yep.

19 comments:

bloodwashed1 said...

*clap clap*

As a younger sibling myself, I think you'll make a pretty fine older bro.

X)

Anonymous said...

dude. i never knew you had a younger bro by my name. kaoz. Somehow, it feels weird. But anyway, i'm glad to hear of your sentiments abt family and i cannot agree further. Family...is perhaps the most taken-for-granted gift from God for us in this gen.

'Treasure your family.'

What a wise phrase. So much for love for the special someone of the female gender for our case, when love was right before us all this while. haha.


-mark-

fcukling said...

ah well, my older bro is/was NOTHING like that. he often pinched me to tell me how fat i was. that happened about... a decade ago? yeah.

i used to be damn close to one of my younger cousins cos she used to stay over at my place for weeks a few years back while her mum was in the hospital. and i think that contributed to my sudden maturity and understanding in accepting various responsibilities and knowing when to take initiatives.

ah well, at the end of the day...
i'm just a teenage dirtbag, baby.

R2D2 said...

The only thing that I can do for my little brother is to get him toys when I have more money. The rest of my time is spent doing other stuff.

Cheok said...

sarah: ho ho. thanks. i think so too.

mark: now, this's a genuine surprise. firstly, you still read this blog? ho ho ho. secondly, i last heard that you were back with fiona.. her name was fiona, right? heard it from woon. anyway... but your tone isn't indicative of that leh?

ho ho ho.

sam: what e hell...

sb: i guess every effort counts man. fortunately for me my brother doesnt play with toys. apparently these 21st century babies only fiddle with computers and the internet these days. best thing i ought to do is burn him a cd of MY music, so he doesnt stray down the erroneous path of DJ Crazy Frog.

the.purple.lady. said...

lol. i'm touched beyond words, mr cheok.

life's like this,it's funny how we are always blind to what's around.

and time 's fleeting by like no one's business. i didnt realise my dad's already hitting the big 6 very soon, till yesterday. that's scary.

J said...

I know what you mean! I never realised how important family is, till I spent years apart from them. But still, when I meet up with them, and even though I know it's for my own good that they nag at me, it still gets on my nerve. Haha.

My sister was never really there for me, until we spent time apart. So I guess even in the familial (is this term even used correctly?) sense, absence makes the heart grow fonder.

That aside, HI ASLAN! :P

Anonymous said...

wat a cute n sweet post! haha.. as i grow older i kinda wish i have a sibling too.. well family is forever i guess.. :)

Cheok said...

yang: scary? oh, definitely. lookie all the white hair i have, and you KNOW for sure it's scary

jenny: HOHOHO man i wouldnt mind being aslan. although he does have a sorta mat-sounding name... like, KHAIRUL ASLAN or something like that. pretty majestic, though... despite the fact that i thought the movie had a tendency to be a complete dick most times.

yvonne: wah CUTE and SWEET ha? hoho. ok man, if you say so.

truth being told, i'm actually rather happy with what i wrote. i thought it an accurate and down-to-earth reflection of my thought process at the time.

the.purple.lady. said...

ey .CUTE AND SWEET guy. you have got white hair? that's some new attempt in trying to be uber funky this season right! never arh. i also have also been uber funky these few seasons, esp since my As. ;)

e. said...

younger siblings drive me crazy.

they make me 'duno wanna laugh or cry'.

potpourri said...

I wish i had an elder brother to tuck me into bed too.

Cheok said...

yang: man, i've had white hair for a pretty long time. just that now with the grown out long haired look, the white appears rather accentuated. i cannot count the number of times i've received startled remarks on having plenty of white hair.

but yeah it's funky. i dig white hair. hoho.

elsie: hrm. choose to laugh?

mari: AIYA got BOYFRIEND whattt

exhumed said...

very well said man

the.purple.lady. said...

good we can be some legendary swordsmen, we can start our own martial arts sect or something.

but seriously, i envy you , for having a little runt at home to clown around with and to give some good old lovin' to.

cos it's never fun when you are the youngest at home, and you are bossed around by a older sibling ( which i reckon is what you do best * evil grins), to not be allowed to do things that the older sibling could when he/she was your age.

hmmmmmm. time for a revolt for the woon household. ;)

the.purple.lady. said...

and why does jame look extremely macho there.

Anonymous said...

Oh my god, this is the most heart warming blog entry I have ever read in my entire life. I'm recommending you to all my blog reading friends. Keep up the good work and keep on bringing those tears to our eyes. RESPECT!1!!!!1!

Anonymous said...

Majestic fellas aren't afraid to show protectiveness over younger siblings. RESPECT!

Cheok said...

ho ho. i think i felt my head hit the ceiling. thanks, all.