11/14/2005

a late night story

As of late (well, 'late' really being a reference to the past year or so) i've come to comprehend my evolution into a class A cynic of life. This has its ups and downs: i'm more sarcastic than ever, which I deem to be fucking atas. I love nothing more than to maul idiotic girls into the ground with runaround circular logic and multisyllabic words which inevitably lead to the entire collapse of whatever point they were trying to put across (and their egos, of course). Then again, I also note that in the endlessly spiralling slope down into decadence and disillusion, I can't seem to locate where i left my heart.

Thereby love and chivalry are dead in the world of wongcheok.

Hurray! We didn't need all that SHIT anyway.

But that's not what I was gonna write about; no, people, it isn't another introspective emo-wannabe post. I know you guys must be fucking sick of all that shit... Well ok, so i think you really aren't; in fact, i betchall'd love to find silly flaws in my person so that YOU ALL CAN MAUL ME TO DEATH LIKE THE RABID TIGERS YOU ARE

Sorry. I digress. Cranky.

Anyhow, why do i bring forth the issue of cynicism? Simply because I know that some of you out there are cynics too. While in general cynicism can be applied to many facilities, the one of particular interest to me now is this: the supernatural.

Do you believe in ghosts? If you don't, you really should.

As y'all know by now, I once had a girlfriend a year or so back (this isn't about her so shut the fuck up if that's what you're thinking. asshole.). I recall that we got together right before I enlisted, which was pretty shitty in retrospect. Nevertheless, things went the way all things of the sort usually do: arguments over time spent together, faux breakups, professions of everlasting love... the works.

So there was this one night whereby i was coping with some really SHIT problems (bitch.), and as all army fellas will know, the constraints of book-in timings are a fuckin' pain-in-the-arse when boy-girl problems crop up: you end up dragging the issue, being miserable in camp, getting cold shoulders.... once again, the works. So i was in this perpetually fucked up mood that night, and it didn't help that as i lay down to sleep my bunkmates so happened to be incredibly gossipy that evening for some fuck reason. This, coupled with a heavy heart and head, inadvertently led to my inability to sleep. I'm sure everyone's experienced it before: tired and drained, yet the mind refuses to rest because of all the shit that's stirring. Pretty much zombie sleep, in a sense. Or half-fuck, for want of a better term.

Plus back then, i slept with my shirt off. Beside the window. In a Tekong company line reputed to be one of the more haunted ones.

Oh, what a fucking bad idea.

I remember it was roughly one in the morning. I was splayed out on the bed in haphazard fashion, drowsy from the forced efforts of closing my eyes and trying to sleep. I felt fucking miserable in my semi-conscious state. And then it hit me: square in the chest, I felt a sudden... force, a pressure which drained the breath from my lungs and seemed to compress me into me.

At this point of time, i'd like to categorically state that this is a true story. It isn't one of those friend's-friend's-friend tales; it fucking happened, and I swear it's true.

So there i was, jolted awake into a sudden state of awareness. My eyes were wide open and i remember that vividly, because with my head on the elevated pillow I could see all my bunkmates sound asleep. But I couldn't move my body at all.

Thing is, stuff like this happens. It wasn't the first time that I'd suddenly been paralyzed while lying down, unable to move an inch. I do think there's a medical phenomena for this, and i recall yahoo-ing for it after this incident; usually after awhile it goes away, and you're pretty much left wondering if all that celibacy was such a good idea after all. Or something along those lines.

Stuck in bed, happened before... Shouldn't be a problem, right? Not this time, mate. I instinctively felt the difference of the paralysis from its predecessors; for one thing, I certainly didn't remember an accompanying feeling of being compressed into myself as a side-effect. If you've ever wondered how being vacuum-packed feels, i'll tell you one thing: it sucks. It felt so goddamned freakish and unnatural, and I began to royally FLIP THE FUCK OUT.

This was bad. I could tell at that very moment that there was something else in me... and I didn't like it one bit. 'This can't be happening, this can't be happening' thoughts played like a tape recorder on overdrive in my mind, and i struggled to call out to my sleeping buddy beside me for help.

It's when a guttural growl emerged from my lips that I really began praying for mercy.

I swear it's fucking true. On my life. It is not the least bit funny when you speak and you don't hear your voice. Worst still, it wasn't even human.

I prayed like i'd never prayed before. One line: "Dear God PLEASE HELP ME." Non-stop.

This carried on for a good minute. Or it might've been ten seconds; i'll never really know. It seemed like a eternity, and it didn't help that just 2 batches of recruits earlier somebody had been possessed in the very same company-line. What I do know, however, is that very, very slowly the pressure began to ease.

The struggle continued until I successfully managed to move my last finger on my left hand ever so slightly. The moment that happened, I brought my left arm straight across my chest, and suddenly I was free.

I bolted upright, cold sweat soaking my body in a sheen of perspiration. I spun to my left and roused my buddy, Weiliang. The moment he saw me, he knew that something was wrong; when I asked him later, he told me this: "Lionel, for 2 months you've never even woken me to go to the toilet, and I know you're the garang type who doesn't get freaked out easily. And when i saw your face that night, I just knew something had happened."

Weiliang immediately roused Boon, who was bed 9 (I was bed 7), and they were alarmed at the story I told them. Perhaps it was the wild-eyed look on my face, or my sweat-bathed self, which convinced them straightaway that I wasn't playing a fool that night.

A week later, during our 16km route march, Jess remarked that on that very same night his bed had shook. I hadn't told him about my experience; it was just casual small talk during our rest stop.

Jess was in platoon one; I was in two. He sleeps directly below me.

Honest, folks: the supernatural does exist. I'm not lying to you on this. And think about it: by simple inference higher powers must also exist, and likewise perhaps even the concepts of Divinity and Evil. Depends on how far you can fling the frisbee, so to speak.

I don't know if my story changes your life. Maybe it won't change anything at all. But... just be careful with the unknown, y'know? If you haven't seen it before, it don't mean it ain't there beside you.

Right. This. Instant.

34 comments:

huiyi said...

REMOVE TT SCARY SHIT!!!!!!

Adrian said...

Interesting story.

amy said...

...i like live close enough to tekong. hope none of them decide to drift over to the mainland man. and ignorance of the supernatural is such bliss too. *shudders* i wouldn't want to see a cheekopek spirit or a pontianak peering with me at my laptop screen. yikes!

Anonymous said...

wah shit, ur story really freaked me out! i was like picturing the scene in my mind while reading..
serves me right for blog-surfing at this hour when i should be mugging.. now i don't dare to go toilet! *yikes*

Anonymous said...

Thats pretty interesting, i've always believed in spirits but i've never experienced something like this.

I used to be a cynic before I found people i actually I had an incentive to bother about. Hmm.

the.purple.lady. said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
the.purple.lady. said...

i have seen those things tho.around. they are preety much like shadows that can walk upright?

they usually will be walking thru the door of my house. and once 3 times in a row in the span of 10 minutes in my room.
that was freakshow. i swear.i told my folks about it.

but dad says they are just passing through so dont really have to bother about them, unless you are stupid enough to lay a mouse trap and irritate their lives,they wont harm you ,they are probably as shocked as you are.

Cheok said...

yi: NO!

adrian: thanks. double thanks for my utility of your bible. a drink at zouk after exams then. heh.

amy: lol. u know, the old story about the previous possession actually had ghosts at the tekong jetty. close enough?

yv: heh heh heh thats why its a late night story

danielle: yeah, i know what u mean about the former. its radically different when you're in the hotspot, so to speak.

being a cynic... good what. lol.

yang: i didnt see shit man: i was supposed to be trying to sleep. i only knew i was fucked when i opened my mouth to talk.

kao. if you tell the local paranormal investigators they might just pop by. heh. now, THAT'd be a sight.

Adrian said...

Dude, you're most welcome. In fact, go right ahead and plug it more, man. I'm a total stats whore. And we should totally go drinking after exams. Also, we should maybe jio Dr. Fletcher and Ivan to go DotA at some LAN shop while we're at it.

fcukling said...

my word. i've gotten that before! it was in my own fucking room, and i heard someone coming in, thinking it was my MUM. i half-opened my eyes and saw her wearing a nightgown or such. i'm not sure, i only saw her abdomen area.
but NO. SHE pulled the blanket off of my chest and i felt this fucking strong pressure on my diaphragm, as if a pair of hands were there. it bloody hell sucked, really.

and i think that's somewhere in my blog.

Anonymous said...

Cheok, you should have prayed to your Pagan Goddesses

Cheok said...

like who? Pussyliath?

Missus Chineses said...

cool.

was going voer freaky ghostly experiences with my colleague the other day and her sister and aunt experienced the same thing.. they're actually susceptible to it like the flu.

there was this one instance where there was a wedding in her family and everyone was cramped onto the rooms in her house and my colleague was sleeping on the same bed as her aunt and her sister and her aunt kena-ed the Night Hag (yea thats what tey call it.. i used to read up on these things). and even tho her aunt was inbetween her and her sister her aunt couldnt even call for help or move a finger to alert them.

that must've sucked.

my colleague thus far is immune to the Night Hag.

you need a vaccine yo.

Anonymous said...

Hi, how you got this comment thingy from blogger? mind teaching me? :)

Charlene said...

fuck that's scary!! o.O.
do u still dare to watch the exorcism of emily rose with this incident in mind? *shudders*

Anonymous said...

heh heh. Pussyliath.

Do you by chance listen to Alkaline Trio? I think you'd like them.

Cheok said...

Yo Yo Maddie-O!!

vivian: you can find the basic template things in blogger help. mine's abit fucked up, so im not much help there.

charlene: haha. i've lived with this story for more than 2 years and i still watch horror shows, so why not?

dani: yeah, i do. cant remember what they played though - lost it all when the hard disk reformatted. stuff like Stupid Kid.

Vivian said...

Huh?? that means the comment board comes with the BASIC template only? i cant add this thingy to my blog? hmm...

Sheena said...

I had exactly the same experience - in my own damn house! I remember I spent the whole night (and the next) with the lights on, shivering in fear, and clutching my rosary.

Cheok said...

vivian: err, yes you can. just add in the necessary portions of the code into your template where they tell you to.

merenwen: wah fuck. own home? that sucks man.

Anonymous said...

i've gotten these experiences a couple of times.. once I was even strangled. ( i kid you not)

the freaky thing is, I was at one exorcism (my aunt) and it was just like the Emily Rose story. 3am, speaking in different languages, eyes look different.

shite scary.

Cheok said...

fuck. seriously.

jmeei said...

Great.

Middle of the night, too.

I am chicken shit.

Ladydeluxe said...

shit, that was scary.

but guess what, i heard scarier ones that happened to my friends!

i had a ghastly encounter in nanjing (heard of nanjing massacre?), fucking scary. freaked the shit outta my sister and me.

it's just so funny how people claim to not believe in god yet in times of need, they pray to god.

Anonymous said...

so did u turn religious after that incident?

Cheok said...

jiameei: lol. that's the whole idea of a late night story, innit?

vanilla girl: ah. the last line's a rather interesting one. what else would suffice in a situation as such?

and ah, how'd you make the password thing on your blog ha?

anon: it didnt make a difference, really. its not as if i don't believe in God - im just largely being an ass and ignoring the truth for the time being.

foong said...

Friend of mine once told me a similar story. Come think of it, i think he said his unlucky bunkmate was praying along the lines of "god please help me" too..

Was there a kelvin in your section? =\

foong said...

jus wondering if its really that small a world.. =\

Cheok said...

haha i dont seem to recall a kelvin... BUT i might've forgotten it. how to remember sial - BMT time you know.

Anonymous said...

I don't know if you'll believe me but I think its a case of sub-conscious sleep...
Your subconscious went to bed but your conscious mind didn't.
Whatever that you saw,was whatever that was retained by your conscious mind.
But actually you're sort of asleep.
You actually thought that you were moving your own body but actually its your mind playing tricks on you.
Plus the fact that you had a shit day,the mind tends to lean towards something bad.
Takes quite a struggle before you can get out of this state.
You just need to put in all your mental energy and snap out of it.
For example if you can't talk,just scream and keep doing that with all your might,it'll definitely work.
Its hard to explain to you but I have been through this a few times it works though.

The only weird that happened to me and my mates was the case of the long strand of hair.
My bed was like number 3,as I woke up and was about to brush my teeth,I noticed a very long strand of hair on my bed.I ignored it and pretended nothing happened.
But the day came when we were about to go back home and I told them about it,the guy sleeping in the next bunk with the same bed number also had a LONG strand of hair on his bed and he was equally puzzled as well...lol..

Cheok said...

given, you could be right. but that's provided i didnt have the clarity of mind i clearly recall i possessed at that moment, which stemmed from the adrenalin rush.

and the voice... that growl. i might've been able to discard the paralysis, but the voice i can't forget. if you could even call it a voice.

Anonymous said...

Its all too puzzling...Just be brave and strong lol :p

HCai said...

i agree with "nobody" actually. i've had that similiar experience at home one day when i was sleeping/half asleep! oh wells :) supernatural does exist, but we can co-exist in harmony with them too!

Anonymous said...

Glad to know that I'm not alone experiencing subconscious sleep lol.